Saturday, January 24, 2009

Cold-Fighting Chicken Noodle Soup

It's funny, because I posted this is on a food blog I had (Eclectic Eats). I haven't maintained it, but oh well! The funny part is that I looked up this recipe last night because Norah & I are fighting colds right now. Well, I posted the recipe EXACTLY a year ago because Brian & I had colds! I guess it must be that time of year.

This recipe will definitely be my go-to soup when I get a cold from now on. I made it late last night and even enjoyed a bowl of it (at nearly midnight!) right after it was done.

I am a veghead and definitely not a fan of the taste of chicken, but I did include it in the recipe, because it does have some healing properties to it, apparently! I don't really eat it. In fact, I pretty much take it out & put it back in the pot for Brian to eat! :)

So, here it is...

  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 1.5 cups carrots, sliced
  • 1.5 cups celery, sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced (I actually used 7 large ones!!!)
  • 12 cups homemade or good quality chicken broth or stock
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/2 (heaping) tsp. ground marjoram
  • 1 tsp. thyme
  • 1 Tbsp. dried parsley
  • 4 cups cooked chicken, chopped or shredded (I baked it)
  • 5 oz. (about 1.5 cups) uncooked egg noodles
  • fresh ground pepper, to taste

In a large stockpot or dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and cook for about 3 minutes before adding the celery and carrots. Continue cooking a few more minutes before adding the garlic. Stir until fragrant. Add the chicken, broth, bay leaf, marjoram, thyme, parsley and ground pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and then reduce. Simmer lightly for 30 minutes.
Add the noodles and simmer until cooked, about 8 minutes.

Thanks to Krashed24 & MrsWindyCity (Elly’s) (What's Cooking Nesties) for the recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment