This recipe will definitely be my go-to soup when I get a cold from now on. I made it late last night and even enjoyed a bowl of it (at nearly midnight!) right after it was done.
I am a veghead and definitely not a fan of the taste of chicken, but I did include it in the recipe, because it does have some healing properties to it, apparently! I don't really eat it. In fact, I pretty much take it out & put it back in the pot for Brian to eat! :)
So, here it is...
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1.5 cups carrots, sliced
- 1.5 cups celery, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (I actually used 7 large ones!!!)
- 12 cups homemade or good quality chicken broth or stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 (heaping) tsp. ground marjoram
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 Tbsp. dried parsley
- 4 cups cooked chicken, chopped or shredded (I baked it)
- 5 oz. (about 1.5 cups) uncooked egg noodles
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
In a large stockpot or dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and cook for about 3 minutes before adding the celery and carrots. Continue cooking a few more minutes before adding the garlic. Stir until fragrant. Add the chicken, broth, bay leaf, marjoram, thyme, parsley and ground pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and then reduce. Simmer lightly for 30 minutes.
Add the noodles and simmer until cooked, about 8 minutes.
Thanks to Krashed24 & MrsWindyCity (Elly’s) (What's Cooking Nesties) for the recipe!